KONA SITE DEFENDER
Protect Your Websites And Web Applications From Downtime And Data Theft
Akamai has delivered web traffic reaching more than 40 Tbps. On the Akamai network, attacks measured in tens – or even hundreds – of Gbps are absorbed with relative ease. Kona Site Defender defends against all types of DDoS, web application, and direct-to-origin attacks – and our optional Akamai FastDNS solution also mitigates attacks on DNS infrastructure. Kona Site Defender is deployed across the Akamai Intelligent PlatformTM, which consists of over 200,000 servers deployed across more than 1,400 networks in over 110 countries.
Kona Site Defender, which leverages the Akamai Intelligent Platform, is designed to thwart DDoS attacks by absorbing DDoS traf c targeted at the application layer, deflecting all DDoS traffic targeted at the network layer – such as SYN Floods or UDP Floods – and authenticating valid traffic at the network edge.
This built-in protection is “always on”, and only Port 80 (HTTP) or Port 443 (HTTPS) traffic is allowed. Bursting fees are capped so users are protected from increased service fees caused by DDoS traffic, and flexible caching maximizes offload from the origin.
The Akamai Intelligent Platform is architected with worldwide distribution and massive scale to help ensure our clients’ websites stay available. In addition, mitigation capabilities are implemented natively in-path, so protection is provided no more than a few network hops from the point of request – NOT at the customer origin.
BENEFITS TO YOUR BUSINESS
- Reduce risk of downtime, defacement, and data theft.
- Protect revenue, customer loyalty, and brand equity.
- Maintain performance in times of attack.
- Reduce costs associated with handling spikes in attack traf c..
- Reduce capital expenditure on security hardware and software.
Kona DDoS Defender
DDoS defense to protect websites against the increasing scale, frequency, and sophistication of attacks
Kona DDoS Defender provides organizations with a simple and effective solution to mitigate the growing threat of DoS and DDoS attacks. It combines Akamai’s highly-scalable Intelligent PlatformTM with in-depth security expertise afforded by Akamai’s 24×7 security operations center (SOC) to defend against the largest and most sophisticated attacks. Architected for both security and performance, Kona DDoS Defender helps organizations offer their users the best web experience all day, every day, even when they are under attack.
How It Works
Kona DDoS Defender leverages the globally distributed Akamai Intelligent Platform to defend against DoS and DDoS attacks. With the scale to handle between 15 and 30 percent of global web traffic on a daily basis, the Akamai Intelligent Platform provides the capacity to mitigate the largest attacks, even as their size continues to grow. Kona DDoS Defender automatically deflects network-layer DDoS traffic and absorbs application-layer DDoS traffic at the network edge before attacks can reach the application origin.
For application-layer DDoS attacks, Kona DDoS Defender combines automated and people-driven capabilities, augmenting adaptive rate controls that mitigate common attacks within seconds with Akamai’s 24×7 SOC to detect, analyze, and respond to the latest and new and sophisticated attack vectors as they are first encountered. In addition, Akamai SOC staff coordinates the attack response with organizations to help them maintain normal business activities even through attacks.
- 24×7 Security Operations Center. Akamai’s 24×7 SOC provides global coverage for organizations around the world. In addition to detecting, analyzing, and mitigating developing attacks, Akamai SOC staff communicates and coordinates with organizations’ onsite staff and troubleshoots any abnormalities.
- DoS and DDoS attack support. Kona DDoS Defender is a fully managed security service to help organizations respond to the threat of DoS and DDoS attacks. Akamai SOC staff augments adaptive rate controls to perform real-time analysis of ongoing attacks, tune existing rules and create custom rules as required, and adapt to changing attack vectors and multi-dimensional threats.
- Broad DoS and DDoS attack protection. Kona DDoS Defender provides organizations with dynamic protection against a broad range of potential DoS and DDoS attack types, regardless of size and complexity, and even as they change over the course of an attack. Network-layer attacks, such as UDP and SYN floods, are automatically deflected, while application-layer attacks, such as HTTP GET and POST floods are absorbed at the network edge. In addition, Akamai SOC staff can help organizations mitigate zero- day Layer 7 attacks with custom rules. Adaptive Rate Controls. Automatically protect applications against application-layer DoS and DDoS and other volumetric attacks by monitoring and controlling the rate of requests against them. Behavior- based rules respond to bursts of requests in seconds, selectively alert/block attackers based on IP address and other parameters, and mitigate slow POST attacks.
- Security Monitor. Real-time visibility into security events and the ability to drill down into attack alerts to learn what’s being attacked, by whom, what defense capabilities triggered the attack declaration and what specifically in the requests triggered site defenses.
- Increase your threat posture awareness by integrating event logs with your security information and event management (SIEM) or other reporting solution through Akamai’s Log Delivery Service (LDS).
- Site Shield (optional). Cloak your origin from the public Internet to further protect against direct-to-origin attacks without impeding quick, reliable content delivery.
BENEFITS TO YOUR BUSINESS
- Reduce business risk with fast and effective mitigation of DoS and DDoS attacks, backed by industry-leading SLAs
- Maintain site availability during attacks with the scale to deflect/absorb the largest DoS and DDoS attacks
- Maintain site performance during attacks with Akamai’s globally distributed architecture
- Respond to the most sophisticated attacks with Akamai’s dedicated and highly experienced SOC staff
- Reduce costs associated with DoS and DDoS protection by leveraging Akamai’s globally distributed cloud security platform